Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Running...racing...friend time

If you stop by here often, you know I love to run for exercise. Last year I ran 2 half marathons and a 5K. The first half marathon was a personal goal. The second half I blame on my friend Angela.

I met Angela for the first time at church camp in 1987. 
And I just happen to have a picture of us from that camp... I know you're shocked. 
I'm the one givin the stink eye to the person taking the pic. Shocked, right?
Angela is the cute one in the background with the white tank on. 

She’s what I’d call a generally quiet person. Not one to wanna be the center of attention. Super sweet. A friend you can definitely depend on.

Well… last year when I did the April half marathon Angela mentioned that she may want to do one, too. I was still kinda on that runner’s high so I told her I’d do it with her.

The part I didn’t think through was the part where we’d be training in the hot summer heat. The humid, bone-melting, awful heat of Tennessee. Yeah. That.

But anyway, we did it and we both finished the half marathon. And we ran the whole 13.1 miles with no walking breaks. Yay us!

Anyway.

I don’t think I ever blogged about it last year but Angela and I ALSO did a 5K in October of last year.

Susan G Komen Race for the Cure
Oct 2012

If you were wondering, 5K is 3.1 miles. 

It was a chilly 43 degrees that morning in Brentwood, and spitting rain. Brr… But sometime in the first half mile I was shedding the hoodie and sweating. We ran the whole thing side by side and I remember when we finished we said we could easily run the route again. We were just a few weeks out from the half so we were still in prime running condition from all our training.

This year we ran the 5K again and thankfully it wasn’t raining. It was in the mid 40s that morning but by noon that day it was in the 60s, so it was a much nicer day this year than last year. 
Susan G Komen Race for the Cure
Oct 2013

However, this year we did NOT say we wanted to run the route again. Lol  After the race we did a little shopping and grabbed some lunch. 

Fun times. No doubt.

Glad to have Angela as a friend and a running buddy. It's so cool to know someone more than half your life and still enjoy hangin out with em. 

Ahhhh... blessings. Blessings indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment