Saturday, August 4, 2012

Tragedies all around us

In the last week or so I've heard about a few tragedies. They didn't happen to me or anyone I know personally. But they were sad and I feel like sharing them with you.

My friend Angela told me about someone she used to work with who lost her daughter-in-law in a car accident. She died. Gone forever. Left behind a husband and a sweet little 2 1/2 year old daughter, and lots of friends and family too I'm sure. What happened to cause the accident? Can't say for sure, but they said she had been on FACEBOOK just prior to the accident.

I follow a blog of a crafty lady who's a friend of my friend Brandi's. Click here to go to Mandy's blog. She has a cousin who lost her husband the other day. I don't know what happened, but what broke my heart is she's pregnant with their first child. That little sweetie pie will never get to lay in daddy's arms or feel those sweet daddy cheek kisses. Seems so unfair.

I also read this story online this week - Click here to read it. and it's just more proof about how DANGEROUS texting and driving is. This Texas guy was driving along and texting an old buddy he was about to meet up with when he drove off into a ravine. He survived, yeah, but now his life has totally been turned upside down. 

I've been seeing the tv commercials by AT&T. They are moving. Disturbing even. You're right AT&T - it CAN wait! 

Then I did a little googling and found that the government has a website devoted to this very topic. Distracted drivers. And I see a lot of em. And I've been guilty. Here's the link.

These two stats jumped out at me ... 


~ Text messaging creates a crash risk 23 times 


worse than driving while not distracted.


~ Sending or receiving a text takes a driver's


eyes from the road for an average of 4.6 


seconds, the equivalent-at 55 mph-of driving the


length of an entire football field, blind.

Obviously I realize tragic, devastating things happen every day. Kids get cancer. People die unexpectedly. 

Does it make sense? NO! 

But today I sit here comfy and cozy in my living room as it thunders and rains. My cat is behind the couch in her "safe place" and my husband is beside me. We aren't sick and we have the things we need. In fact, we're blessed beyond anything we deserve. 

My heart hurts for those folks who aren't so blessed. The ones who just lost a loved one. The ones who can no longer function normally, lost their jobs or don't know how they're going to pay the bills. 

Let's pray for them and if you can, HELP THEM this week. Look for ways to share God's love.

And if you feel a complaint come on your tongue, bite it and start listing your blessings one by one.   :-P


1 comment:

  1. Oh, I am so guilty of this too...I have started putting my phone in my purse & putting my purse in the backseat behind me where I can't reach it. You are SO right, IT CAN WAIT!

    The scary thing is when YOU are really paying attention you can SEE who is not...distracted drivers are EVERYWHERE, PLEASE be careful!

    Thank you for including Nat & the baby in your prayers. They originally thought he had a heart attack (he was a big guy), but were doing an autopsy to determine & it turned out he had sleep apnea. She had gotten up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom & noticed he wasn't breathing...makes me sick. :(

    Definitely praying here.
    Take care, friend!

    ReplyDelete