Sunday, July 20, 2014

hand lettering by yours truly

The other day I was reading another blog & the author was learning to do some hand lettering
here's the post from The Small Things Blog 
I've seen this kind of stuff around Pinterest. 

I've always kinda liked doodling, writing stuff out and making cool block letters and what not. I'll admit it's gotten me through a few boring meetings.
But I've never tried to make my doodle really cute, ya know?

After a couple of attempts with pencil, I decided to dive on in the water and make one for a friend's wedding and ink it. 

I like how it turned out, although it's a little different from my "first draft."

Here's the finished product  - - 

And this was my first sketch 

I definitely figured out during this process that I needed a good eraser. 

Or as I called it in my younger days, a re-raser. 

My first attempt at hand lettering was a copy from one I saw when I googled hand lettering. Only I switched one word in the phrase... instead of writing oh crap I wrote oh mercy. Cuz ya know. . . 


THEN I decided to sketch out my favorite Bible verse. Lots of people were posting "challenges" to share your favorite verse and I hadn't been challenged but it inspired me to doodle it any hoo.


Again - pencil... may ink this one sometime or another. 

And last but not least... this one is fairly simple. 
Again, a copy of one I saw from a Google search. Made it for my bestie.

So maybe I'll try to come up with something cool for this year's Christmas cards. If I do, you better know I'm gonna be finding a quality copy service to duplicate those bad boys cuz leaning over a paper can give you neck pain. Trust me on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment