Thursday, July 12, 2012

another kitchen mishap

If you read my blog entry from the Pinterest party ~here it is if you missed it~
you know I'm prone to spilling things. Remember this? the Hamburger Helper incident of February 2011 
um yeah, I should be smacked for cooking HH anyway. Shame on me. And our love of processed foods.

Anyway, last night I had yet another kitchen mishap. Lyndy style. Sorry, no pics.


I fixed spaghetti pepperoni casserole, a recipe I've made a lot since I've been a married girl. It's pretty tasty, but we haven't had it in a while. I'll give ya the recipe at the bottom of this blog post. 
Courtesy of my sis-in-law 
Leslie.

One of the steps in this recipe is to put some butter in the 9x13 glass dish and stick her in the oven to melt said butter. Ok. Then ya sprinkle some parm in there and toss the ole noodles around in it. 

Hungry yet? 

Well obviously when you take it out of the oven, she's hot. So I put the dish on a couple potholders. Constructed the casserole and stuck her back in the oven to get the cheese good and melted. 

Then I went back to the living room to sit a spell. And to play Words with Friends. 

A few minutes passed and Anthony asked "what's that smell?" 

I jumped up from the couch and went to investigate. I didn't smell anything. Until I opened the oven. And smoke came out. Dark smoke. 

A potholder was wedged in the door and was kinda burning. 

I pulled it out and threw it in the sink. No flames. But a tiny spot on it was bright reddish white. I drenched it with water. 

Crisis averted.

I reckon Anthony saved the day. And his worries about the casserole tasting icky - not a bit! It tasted just fine. Not that he would touch it til I tasted it first. (sigh) 

Here's the recipe - just don't cook your potholder with it.

Spaghetti Pepperoni Casserole
   by Leslie
3 lasagna noodles (or 4 if you're afraid one of em might stick or you might drop it in the floor, not that I've ever done that) 
OR a box of spaghetti
1 lb ground beef
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 package pepperoni slices 
1 package shredded mozzarella cheese
1 stick of butter (I use half a stick)
Parmesan cheese (you be the judge of how much)

Heat oven to 350. Melt butter in 9x13 glass dish. Sprinkle parmesan cheese in butter. Brown ground beef & drain. Cook noodles & drain. Toss noodles in butter and parmesan cheese. Layer pepperoni slices on top of noodles, then the ground beef. Next pour spaghetti sauce over meat. Last, sprinkle mozzarella on top (and some parm if you want). Bake until cheese melts.

Enjoy my stupidity carelessness and this yummy recipe. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy and, most importantly, easy. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete